V5.1.4 Release

Had basically the exact same problem I chased for awhile…Kaupoi posted a ublox configuration file that solved it all for me anyways… runs in real time no lag or “playback” https://discourse.agopengps.com/t/v-5-beta/4678/283V 5 Beta - #283 by Kaupoi

Interesting, Although dont think that is the cause of my problem as am using MTZ ESP dual gps, and F9P configs, which already have all the un-nessercery stuff turned off as far as im aware…

:+1: :+1:

An update to some problems / bit more info on the delay issue…

So good news, and bad news…

The good news, is that I can confirm the problem with there being a 1-3 second delay between hitting the steer button, and the wheels moving, is almost certainly related to the issue with it steering really badly / really struggling to find the line…

I set out today to make some videos, and logNMEA of the problems I was having…however having entered the field and tested the steering, I knew instantly something had changed, as today, there is absulutely no delay at all when hitting steer, Its just as it was with 4.3, the wheels are moving the second you touch the steer button! And sure enough, with no fine tuning even, it steers 1000x better! And finds the line much better, maybe not quite perfect as still overshoots a tad, but in comparison to yesterday, its 10,000x better, absulutly useable now!

The bad news is, I have changed absulutly nothing between yesterday and today…So now have no idea what could be going on, and if it will return another day?

This is with PP to…and I had never got PP to work on even 4.3… So big change here!

Have attached a cople videos and NMEA log anyway…

First video is just showing the steering reaction in drive mode stood still. (Sorry for the complete fail with screen record, thought I had it recording the entire screen, but somehow was not, so still cant see it all even now!):

And video of it in the field:

If anyone wants the NMEA log PM me / message me on telegram and ill send it over.

Is there a written procedure or video to adjust all parameters of the autosteer. Gain, pwm min, p max, and parameter of pure pand stanley

I have attempted to fix the delay issue some are experiencing. There is a new version to try. I’ll make a new topic.

https://github.com/farmerbriantee/AgOpenGPS/releases

Seeding caught up to me way to fast this year, there is a manual that describes the functions at the top menu, Manual or Help. I will make one showing tips and tricks as seeding winds down.

2 Likes

OK thanks Brian

The steering test window allows you to change the steering angle by 1 degree. In my experience, a resolution of 0.1 degrees is needed to correctly set the hydraulic valves. Most of the corrections during automatic driving are between 0 and 1 degree. For setting, instead of arrows, I use the slider to set the sensor 0 where I can set values ​​less than 1 degree and only then you can see if the control is working well or badly and you can tell when the vehicle is stationary. The most difficult and KEY when adjusting the hydraulic valves is to find the optimal minimum PWM value, it is not possible when you increase the error by 1 degree. You click 1 degree left or right and you see how the plumbing is beautifully pulling the green line, you think it’s ok. But you change the sensor 0 every 0.1 degree and you see that, for example, up to 0.8 degree error nothing happens and only at 0, 9 pulls to the correct level. With such testing, every 0.1, you can only see what needs to be improved, you can test different frequencies for better detachment of the slider, etc.
So our beloved programmers, maybe when introducing some changes, it would be worth adding the possibility of test control every 0.1 degree, it will certainly facilitate the calibration of settings, especially of hydraulic valves.

3 Likes

WAS sensor, bad contact?

Instead of using the 1 degree steps to find min PWM, use the min PWM slider. So set P to 0, set 1 degree error then adjust min PWM until the valve or motor barely activate. Check both directions.

3 Likes

I have also had a heck of a time with a steer issue as well. One moment it steers like a dream and the next it snakes back and forth trying to find the line. I am assuming its the delay issue I have read about. I will update and report back with my findings. Also I find it flips around and wants to drive in reverse quite a bit.

I do what you say but this way you can get a preset and it will usually be too low. If you want precise steering without swinging the wheels, you need to check how the system reacts to a 0.1 degree error. If you can set a 0.1 degree error then of course you can use the minimum PWM slider and find the value that will correct this error, if you are able to set the valve to correct every 0.1 degree then you have what you need.
This is the only way to diagnose the correct operation of the valves, it is not always possible to set the exact response to 0.1 degree error and then you have to look for the causes in the hydraulic system, but you can only see all this if you look at the response to a 0.1-0.2 degree error not 1 degree.

I made the PWM settings in this tractor at a standstill, observing the reaction to a 0.1 degree error. Until recently, like everyone else, I observed the reaction to deegre 1 and did not have good results, it was only when driving that I had to look for good settings.

3 Likes

Be sure to download version 5.1.5 !!

I had this behavior too. I think it is related with cmps14 and roll but maybe I am wrong. What setup are you using ?

Nice video!

Maybe I’m not quite understanding your explanation but the way I see it, the PWM output is only 8 bit and no floating point so that means whole numbers from 0 to 255, there’s no point in trying to output a fraction. That’s why I suggested setting P to 0 so that your PWM output is only what you set Min to, then you can see what minimum value is enough to activate the valve. Again, fractions don’t help anything for PWM output.

Also if your P is normally greater then 10, then 0.1 degree * 10 equals 1 already anyways. I’m not sure what the Arduino does with rounding up or down for analogWrite.

I was using the sparkfun BNO080 hooked to an arduino but I switched to the BNO085 from adafruit hooked to an arduino. Hope to try the latest update soon and will report back.

20210515_064145

Yes, I know that PWM are integers but 255 divided into 60 degrees of a turn from right to left is 4.25 for each degree. So if I understand the code correctly, the PWM increases every 0.23 degrees. If I set the minimum PWM to 50 and low to 80, in simple terms I have 6 PWM divisions for each stage, so despite the lack of fractions, the resolution is a bit higher than full degree. Correcting me if I’m wrong.
I also noticed that the higher the P, the greater the PWM resolution we have available for adjustment, so it is difficult to set the valves when P must be below 20.

Sorry, you lost me here. I have not used v5 yet so maybe it’s different. I’m just trying to explain how I find Min PWM.

What kind of proportional gain are you using for your hydraulic valve? When setting the valve up where do you have the proportional gain set?