CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

The one linked a few posts up by Nacho that on the boards GitHub is the one to use. After loading just check the text from the serial monitor but it shoud default to Valtra/Massey and that will work with Deutz

1 Like

Okay,I loaded the other sketch onto the Teensy and plugged everything back into the tractor.
Now when I press and hold the on board steer button the arrow turns orange and rotates with the steering wheel.

If I then press the auto steer button bottom right everything turns green but no steering response.
I opened the serial monitor in Agio but couldn’t type any commands from the windows tablet.

What was your driving speed, at that situation?

In that picture I was stopped but have also tried it while driving.

The very first thing you must do is get the red arrow to turn when you manually turn the steering, it should point same direction as the front wheels.

If it doesn’t work there is no CAN message from the steering valve and check one of these:

• Factory steering switch turned on in the tractor
  • Correct CANBUS connected
  • PCB CANBUS parts are working

Okay thanks I’ll try and have a go in the morning.
When the arrow is orange it does turn with the steering but not sure about red.

Yes the arrow turns with the steering in all colours.
The factory fit enable switch has no effect.

So that indicates the the CAN is working and you have the message from the valve ok.

Next steps:

• make sure the factory steering switch is ON
  • select “button” as the switch option in AgOpen and click send to module
  • open a field and make a test ab line
  • click the steering wheel in bottom right of tablet so that it is green
  • manually move the steering wheel so the tractor can see the sensor is working and drive forward faster than 1km/hr
  • once moving leave steering wheel alone and press the engage button on the PCB

If this doesn’t work, open the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE from there send “S” then “R” then “X” I think that will show the CAN message in the serial monitor we need too see this message to see why the steering valve is not ready to steer

Hello Bon,

I do tests on a valtra T175 Serie 5, with Teensy 4.1 Tripple CAN 2.0
I steer the wheels this afternoon using the WK-Bus, X1C connector above the cab:
Pin F: WK-Bus_H — VBus H
Pin E: WK-Bus_L — VBus L

I do not have the steer command, for the moment I use the pcb switch. I not receive frame 0x18EF1C32 !
Stephane

Hello Stephane,

thank you for your very interesting feedback.

What is the equipment of your valtra? do you have the CEA guide on the roof or only the danfoss PVED-cc steering valve?

My mvaltra is autosteer ready, meaning that i have onlyu the PVED valve, no other equipement related to GPS stuff.

thanks.

Stef

Stephane,

which sketch version do you use?

thanks.

stef

Hello

My valtra is autosteer ready and i not CEA guide, just a PVED-CC. I plug CommonRail PCB on the roof.

I use sketch version Ver 02.07.2023, Autosteer_AOGv5_Teensy4.1UDP_SteerReadyCAN_AIOModified.ino

#define isAllInOneBoard is comment

Stephane

Hi,

ok. will check it.

Dow we need to configure something for the Dansfoss pved using serviceTools.ino?

Stef

Hello,

Long term reader of the canbus topic but havent ever contributed, so here goes!

I have been working on connecting to a Claas Lexion 760 via canbus for steering. The steering seems to be similar to the Claas tractor CAN profile but slightly diffrent.

Originally the steering angle on the tractor profile is read from 0CAC1E13 but on the combine seems to be replicated on 0CA1C13, It doesnt have the same range of values as the tractor but this is easily fixed.

My problems come when trying to work out what is needing to be sent back to the combine for steering, which ID should I be using and or how do I work this out?

TIA

No configuration with servicetools
Stephane

Okay,getting back to this.
Went through the instructions above and no change.
The steering switch is on and lit up and the quick steer is working so presumably power to the valve.
Connected the teensy via usb and opened serial monitor and have the following.

In the data of that screen shot see the 3rd data number is 61, that must be 16 before anything can happen. Try working through that list above when looking at this number and see if it changes.

1 Like

Worked out today that the easy steer switch also needs to be on,not sure if this is normal?

Anyhow I now have Autosteer working!
With Agopen set to button and easysteer engaged the button on the pcb engages auto steer.
The tractor armrest button doesn’t engage auto steer but lights up when engaged and will disengage when pressed.
Any steering wheel movement also disengages.
Didn’t try to engage through headland management which I believe has worked for some but what are other options?

3 Likes

I wrote a tutorial on how to read the CANBUS and find the button of your choice, then code it in AOG yourself. Worth a look?

1 Like